Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hearty Beef Vegetable Barley Soup

I've been struggling with eating PCOS friendly foods lately and one of my buddies on my WW board suggested I make some soup to take for lunch all this week. So I remembered that I've been meaning to incorporate barley in my diet since it's a powerhouse food for PCOS but the last time I bought it the dogs knocked it off the table and ate it. Hmmm... 


It's also Mother's Day today and my mother-in-law is doing WW too so I didn't want to make her bread or cookies (and funds are low this month so baking was pretty much the plan). I made this soup off the box of the barley and packaged some up in individual containers for Carolyn. I had a bowl for lunch and it's really good - even for soup which I'm not a big fan of. I will definitely be making this again and am going to take some to Dad for him to try too. 


I was only able to get 10.5 1-cup servings out of the recipe so I adjusted that in the WW tracker which made it 3 PP+. 


HEARTY VEGETABLE BARLEY SOUP (contains beef)

Frozen vegetables make this soup extra easy.
Ingredients
  • 1/2  pound lean ground beef
  • 1/2  cup chopped onion
  • 1  cloves garlic, minced
  • 7 cups water
  • One  14-ounce can no-salt-added tomatoes, undrained, chopped
  • 1/2  cup Medium QUAKER Barley*
  • 1/2  cup sliced celery
  • 1/2  cup sliced carrots
  • 2  beef bouillon cubes
  • 1/2  teaspoon basil
  • 1   bay leaf
  • 1  9 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables

Preparation

In 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, brown ground beef. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender; drain. Add remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables. Cover, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add frozen vegetables; cook about 10 or until vegetables are tender. Add additional water if soup becomes too thick upon standing.

    Variations

    *To use Quick QUAKER Barley, substitute 2/3 cup quick barley for medium barley and decrease water to 6 cups. Cook ground beef, onion and garlic as directed above. Add remaining ingredients including frozen vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.

    Yield

    Twelve 1-cup servings

    Nutrition Information

    1 cup
    • Serving Size: 1 cup
    • Calories: 110 
    • Calories from Fat: 27 
    • Total Fat: 3 
    • Saturated Fat: 1 
    • Cholesterol: 15 
    • Sodium: 190 
    • Total Carbohydrate: 15 
    • Dietary Fiber: 2 
    • Protein: 7 
    • Vitamin A:   0% 
    • Vitamin C:   0% 
    • Calcium:   0% 
    • Iron:   0% 
    • Vitamin E:   0% 
    • Folate:   0% 

    Dietary Exchange

    • starchbread:1/2
    • meat:1/2
    • vegetables:1-1/2

    No comments:

    Post a Comment